Tuesday 12 June 2007

La Playa Esmereldas...

So we went on our first paseo this past weekend. We left Thursday around 3pm (after I did Sarina, Aaron and I did our subjunctive dialogue in SPN class). That, I thought, went over well for the most part.

On the bus, thankfully, I got my own space, so I didn't have to cramp up with anyone... especially on the long ride... which probably took us about 8 hours if not more, because we kept having to stop either because people needed a restroom or the bus' windshield wipers weren't working properly. We arrived probably around 10:30 - 11pm at La Casablanca (the hotel we were staying at) and we ate dinner right away which was fish ceviche (cold soup) and spaghetti with jamon (ham).. yep... I didn't eat much but it wasn't bad nonetheless.

We picked out our rooms and I bunked up with Nidhi and Shannon (from VT). It wasn't bad... we were in the largest room in comparison to the rest of the group. We had 2 rooms, 2 bathrooms, a dining room area and a kitchen. Now... you must realize that at night time, well more like midnight, this place is a little scary. There was random shit on all of the sheets... some of which smelled... then we noticed the cieling fans were all dirty with something and then around the bedrooms, splattered red-something was all over... so Nidhi thought that maybe someone got their head chopped off from the cieling fan and the red stuff on the walls was the blood. Who knows?!!?! On top of this, I cut my fingers on one of the floor fans AND both of our doors into our cabana didn't exactly lock... so anyone could just walk right in whenever they wanted to.

All I know, is that Nidhi, Shannon and I shared the big bed together that night and I kept a knife at the head of my bed.

Friday morning we were up early eating breakfast and then off on the boats to go humpback whale watching. The sun poked out a few times but it really wasn't that sunny out unfortunately, but at least it wasn't raining and the waves were good. Only a few people got seasick.

I did get to see some whales AND hear them -- that is definitely an experience I won't ever forget.

Afterwards they dropped us off at a different beach and we swam around and played soccer on the shore. I got stung by a jelly fish, but it was no big deal. We ate lunch at the little restaurant on this beach and since I am not a fan of seafood, I was able to eat pollo en la plancha (grilled chicken).

Afterwards we headed back to our hotel, but stopped at a store to buy snacks and biellas (booze)... I bought a Japa for $10 -- that means 12, 40 oz. Pilseners... amazing!

When we got back everyone showered and got all cute to go eat pizza at this restaurant off the beach (but not at the hotel). And then afterwards we headed back to the hotel and drank and talked the night away.

Saturday we spent the day at the beach near our hotel and played voleibol... but it was raining (from what I understand the UNCW students who went whalewatching on Saturday all got sick from the boatride and didn't even get to see any whales... que lastima!).

After lunch we ended up going to la playa escondido and did some exploring --- found some crabs and some pretty seashells too.... and we ate dinner at a restaurant there... I had more chicken and it was DELISH!!!!!!

Afterwards we went back to the hotel and I had some strawberry daquiris which were amazing and we made one of the bartenders clear off the chairs from the patio by the shore so we could dance.

Others decided to go swimming and eventually skinny dip and run around naked for the rest of the night. Que chevere.. ha

And that was that.... We left early Sunday morning back to Quito and stopped at a lodge that was located somewhat in a forest of some sort. I got to see a Toucan and some hummingbirds really close ... I am getting more and more excited to go to Tiputini in 4 weeks!!! I've always wanted to go to a rain forest.

Anyways, I'm just sitting here waiting for my next class to start at 1pm... I'm still working on making some more Ecuatorian friends... I've made a few so far, but it's hard to make them at the school, since only 1 of my classes has Ecuadorians and there's only like 8 of them... and most keep to themselves.

I think I might go to a liga soccer game tomorrow... we shall see.

Friday I am going to el Convento de San Diego with my art class and I think I'm just going to travel around Quito for the weekend and see what I haven't seen thus far -- like el mitad de mundo, teleferiqo and el museo de Gauyasamim.

I uploaded pictures from this weekend, so enjoy --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/8664843@N07/

1 comment:

pinkbullets said...

me gustan tus fotos en flicker.

todo es tan bellisimo!

te extrano chica.

diviertete!

besos y abrazos.
-louie marie!