Monday 4 June 2007

Moving on to the second week....

So there's a lot to talk about I guess... I am now only taking two classes -- the Art History of Arquitectural Quito and then an Advanced Spanish class (woo haha -- go SUBJUNCTIVE forms)!

Classes seem to be going well, the homework is hard because everything is in Spanish and it takes me longer to read it... but, hopefully I will get better as we go along here.

Thursday night about 10 of us went to La Mariscal and went to a club called El Bungalow (or La Bung) and danced -- they played a lot of 80s and 90s American music intermingled with Salsa and some Techno. It was really fun and I tried a Mojito, but I didn't like it much.

Friday and Saturday I spent in Otavalo with about 12 other of the MSU students and some randoms from Virginia Tech and a school in Montreal. It was really fun -- we arrived around 6pm, so it was already dark and we started roaming the streets to find a hostal. We found one that was written up in all of the travel guides called Hostal de Almanacer and that's where we stayed for $8 and it included breakfast the next morning. Once we were checked in, we wandered around Otavalo, had some Hummus and Falafel and some Pilsners (la cerveza de Ecuador) and basically stayed up until 2:30 a.m.

We all woke up at 7:30 a.m. and had breakfast which was good -- an omellete con verduras (vegetables).

Afterwards we headed to the indigenous market and I bargained with the vendors... I ended up getting 2 purses, 3 indigenous instruments, a bunch of bracelets, a paintining and a keychain for about $20.

We had to check out at noon... and then everyone was like "let's just go home." So we did... I ended up at La Mariscal Saturday night again with Nidhi and we met up with two other MSU kids, but Nidhi wasn't feelin' so hot and I was tired so went home by midnight.

Sunday I spent doing homework and then went to El Jardin mall with my host mom, Elena and her brother Juli, ate some Chinese food and then we went to Itchimbia, which is this area where you can see an amazing view of the three sections of the city.

I've posted pictures on flickr ---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/8664843@N07/

I am trying to find a good place to post pictures, but I don't know how much I like flickr or photobucket so far. Anyone have any suggestions!?!

Ciao 4 now, because I need to head to class soon. I miss all of you, A LOT!

Oh and I saw Trainspotting last night, very interesting. DVDs here are like $1.50 ... so I'm going to hit up the store soon and buy some --- They already have Shrek 3 out ha.

Ciao.

No comments: